Click here for past construction updates.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for weekly email updates.
02/14/2019 - New “loos” in the park
We just can’t help ourselves. As wastewater professionals, we’re geeking out about the new public restrooms being installed in Windjammer Park. These sleek new outdoor bathrooms, called “Portland Loos,” were delivered and placed in the park in early January. The bathroom stalls are made entirely out of stainless steel, so they are easy to clean and maintain. They also have solar powered lights that turn on automatically when the bathroom is in use, helping us be more efficient with our energy use. The two new public restrooms are located just north of the new basketball/pickleball courts and near the new parking area on the east side of the park. Once they are open for use this summer, they will be available during park hours. Of course, the wastewater from the new loos will be treated at our state-of-the-art Clean Water Facility.
Fun fact of the week
Love is in the air! Did you know in Finland they celebrate “Ystävänpäivä” on February 14, which roughly translates to “Friendship Day”? The notion of celebrating a holiday on February 14 wasn’t observed in Finland until 1987. When Finns did start observing the day, they decided to recognize everyone in their lives – friends, family, neighbors, colleagues and sweethearts too. While we can’t speak Finnish, we wanted to share the spirit of the holiday with you!
Anticipated work February 14 - February 20:
Clean Water Facility work
- Operators continue to monitor flows from the city.
Windjammer Park Improvement work
- Irrigation pipe installation continues throughout the park.
- Light pole installation continues.
- Construction of the pavilion continues.
- Construction of the west kitchen continues.
- Construction of the east kitchen continues.
- Construction of the splash park continues.
- Work on curbs and sidewalks continues.
- Planting continues.
- Work will occur on Saturday, February 16, during normal working hours.
Last week’s snow slowed down some work on new park elements. Now that the weather is warming up, we’re getting back on track.
Work on the facility is generally contained to the fence work area, with deliveries to and from the site. Throughout construction, you can expect:
- Heavy equipment, noise, activity, and truck traffic around the project site
- Equipment and materials staging
- Increased noise and vibration during demolition activities, stone column installation, concrete pours, and excavation
- Work hours typically 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. on weekdays
- If weekend work is necessary, the community will be informed via weekly construction update emails – join the list at email@example.com
- Advance notice of construction activities via email, web bulletins, and project fliers
- One-on-one problem solving with residents, park users, and community members directly impacted by construction activities
For park and parking access, you can expect:
- Restricted surface lot parking; look for signs and markings
- Staysail RV park is closed; for more information visit the City’s website or call the Parks and Recreation Department (360-279-4756)
For more information and what to expect during construction: